Safety should never be compromised when playing basketball. To fully enjoy the game, you need to make sure that your basketball court is designed properly, and every component of the court is installed with care and utmost precaution.
A key component in the basketball court is the basketball ring. Here are a few guidelines that will help you install a basketball hoop safely for maximum enjoyment of this sport.
- Install a basketball ring on a stable and durable wall or backboard. Make sure that the ring is permanently fixed into the wall or backboard to prevent it from falling off when playing. Tell the players never to swing or hang to the basketball ring for too because that may cause injury in case the ring falls off.
- Remove any basketball ring or backboards installed on a single layer of brickwork like the ones that you can find on top of a garage door. Rings and backboards installed on this aren’t very stable and can fall off easily even with light use. Never, in any circumstance, install a basketball ring on a single layer of brickwork.
- If there is no other place to put your basketball ring but on brickwork, check its structural integrity to ensure that it can support the basketball system. Before mounting the ring and its backboard, get the help of a structural engineer to assess the safety of putting the system on it.
- Always follow the instructions of the manufacturer when mounting the basketball ring to the backboard and when installing the basketball system on the post or wall. Check and double check that the screws and fasteners are tight to guarantee the durability of the installation.
- In the long run, always check the stability and structural integrity of the post or brick wall, and the basketball ring and backboard as all of these can deteriorate with time. Replace damaged parts whenever possible or replace the whole system if part by part replacement is no longer possible.
- Always check that water doesn’t reach the basketball ring or seep into the backboard. Water can cause the ring to rust or damage the backboard, which can make it weaker and unstable.
- If you have questions or doubts when installing your basketball ring, always seek the help of a professional.
By following the aforementioned guidelines, you can avoid injuries from happening when playing on your basketball court.